Friday, November 9, 2007

Teaching All About Lines!

Hello!

I am working on a five week unit with the Kindergarteners at my elementary school placement. The first thing I did in this unit was a preassment. So that the kindergarteners did not get nervous or freak out I turned it into a game they know well-Simon Says. But we called it Miss M says and they did pretty well following all the directions. I color coded which lines should have been which, and we are working on straight, curvy, zigzag, diagonal, vertical, and horizontal.

The lesson that I have completed so far is the lines and shapes lesson, very introductory. I made index cards with the words and examples of each line, and we did matching. I would show a card and they would look at their set and match them up. Then we worked on individual pieces, working very "abstractly." We did just 6 lines on the sheet, one of each. After going through each of the lines we looked for shapes and spaces made by the different lines and colored them in.

This lesson was very introductory and the next lessons included in the unit are more advanced.


I am still waiting to load some images. I will load the preassement from my only student getting one right, and then I will also include one of the "finished" pieces.

No comments: